Sunday, June 6, 2010

Comic project






About a year ago, a thread was started on the comic board of 4chan, with a single image of a female knight and her princess. From that idea several artists drew some great sketchs, picture and comic strips, but the fire burned in many of us to make a comic. As the year went on I basically ended up trying to take a 'head writer' position on the project, as alot of the older crew disappeared. I wrote, I did outlines and layouts, and figured I'd just have to get off my butt and draw it, something I honestly wasn't sure I'd do.

Thankfully that all changed when an artist who goes by Anderjak came along (I'm going to assume all our internet names are fair to use for talking about this, and I'd feel bad NOT making it clear that I didn't draw the final pages). With a strong drive to make the project a reality, his arrival and amazing test pages spurred me onward again. Once a colorist going by the name Eli showed up as well, we pretty much knew we had comic going! So, despite my normally sloth like pace, I've been trying to do layouts and scripts if possible and do my part to make the comic something we all can be very proud of. Here is a bit of the amazing process from my layouts, Anderjak's roughdraft followed by first inks, and the final touch of Eli's amazing colors.

I think considering the 'timeless tale of love' thing the project was going for from the start, Anderjak's style is perfect. Beautifully thought out, yet with a simple, innocent elegance that I would have been hard pressed to achieve even if I wasn't an aged cynic. Eli's colors added the perfect touch of storybook quality, with a painterly feel I was afraid we wouldn't find in this day and age, much less have come to us. Honestly, I'm amazed and honored to have them both be part of this comic, and glad I kept with it from day one, even if it was just by adding a little post here and there every few weeks. Thanks to EVERYONE who posted and contributed, even the ideas that didn't work for this comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment